Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflection

How has your impression of SouthKorea changed in the last few days?
Firstly, as Singapore & South Korea are both green city, I thought that we will be the same in terms of cleanliness. However, I guess I was wrong. While walking on the street, the hardest thing to spot was actually rubbish, and there was not many rubbish bin around in South Korea. Additionally, they also have the recycling bins around to recycle items that people discard. Thus, unlike in the past, I now feel that South Korea is actually 'greener' than Singapore.
Secondly, I have never thought that South Korea will actually want to reunify with North Korea. To me, ever since they are separated, they have became enemies. However, after understanding Korean Conflict Management, my impression changed. They even held ceremony to show how much they desire to reunify with North Korea. Additionally, many people also wrote their well-wishes and hope reunification will take place one day and I also hope that one day, unification will occur.


In your opinion, provide 2 differences and 2 similarities between Singapore and South Korea.
Differences:
1)In South Korea, they experience 4 seasons, which are summer, autumn, winter and spring. This also means that their temperature will fall and rise on different seasons. However in Singapore, we do not experience all the 4 seasons. We belong to a hot climate with high temperature throughout the year.
2)Both Singapore and South Korea have a different retirement age too. In Singapore, the retirement age is 62 while in South Korea, the retirement age is 58.
Similarities:
1)Both Singapore and South Korea are environmental-friendly. Both countries implemented measures such as recycling to save the Earth. One example is that both countries have the recycling bins for people to discard their unwanted items that can be recycled.
2)Governments in both Singapore and South Korea have done their part by implementing schemes to curb the problem of ageing population and they have the same proposal of raising retirement age and encouraging birth rates.


List and explain three of your most memorable experiences.
1)Visit to Daegu Safety Theme Park. 
We had many real-life experience of which we were required to tackle disasters. I learnt many things and since then, I also know what should I do whenever disaster occurs.
2)Visit to POCHEOL High School for School Exchange.
We get to interact with the students over there and exchange pointers. It was really interesting as I found out many things that I did not know in the past. For example, they are very particular in terms of education and thus requires the students to study throughout the week. On weekdays, they will study up to 14hours and self-study for around 3hours on weekends.
3)Understanding Korean Conflict Management.
We visited the 3 places which are the Demilitarised d Zone, Imjingak and Odusan Unification Observatory. Over there, I realised that after separation, South Korea has a strong desire to reunify with North Korea. We also get to see the weapons North Korea used during the war. There were many well-wishes from many people and hope that both South Korea and North Korea will reunify one day.


List and explain three things you have learnt about yourself and your life as a student.
1)I learnt that I am very fortunate to be a student in Singapore. Studying in Singapore is not as stress as compared to South Korea. We only need to study for approximately 7hours on weekdays and do not need to return to school on weekends. Additionally, we have a larger variety of food to choose during our recess, unlike the students over at South Korea.
2)I learnt that even though Singapore is a country without any natural disaster, I should have precautions against it. Without any precaution, I may not be able to even save myself if natural disaster were to happen one day. Thus, its is important to have precautions and never take things for granted.
3)I learnt that I am very fortunate to be able to study with people from different races and understand their culture. Unlike students in South Korea, they only have one race and thus, they do not get a change to interact with students from other races.







Michelle (:

No comments:

Post a Comment