Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflection on My South Korea Experiential Learning

First of all , my impression of the Korean had changed . They are really friendly and easy-going . Although during the first day my friend and I had a reall unpleasan inccident wih a Korea lady ,but majority of them re really nice . Before coming to South Korea , all I admire about Korea is Kpop.  However after spending  7 days in Korea , I began to love Korea by its culture and the beauty of Korea really lies on their whole country , and only Kpop stars .
One similarity about Singapore and South Korea is both countries are facing aging population and both countries are trying their best to provide a better living environment for t senior citizens . This can be clearly seen from the example of the Daegu Senior Experience Centre.   At there , it shows lots of latest inventions of products that are specially design for the senior citizens . We even get to try out the “ aging gears “ and feels how it is like when we are 80years old ): Singapore uses almost the same way ti educate the students about conserving the community but ours is doing CIP in old folks home . This shows that both countries are aware of the importance of teaching the younger generations the needs of serving the community and also treating their own grandparents in a better way .
Another similarity about Singapore and South Korea is both countries are very fast developed . We suffered the pains under Japanese Occupations , however after gaining  freedom we work hard to achieve what we both are having now . South Korea rank 15th in world economy whereas Singapore is 7th .
One difference about Singapore and South Korea is our culture and history . South Korea has a long history unlike Singapore which is just a very young country . Therefore we get to experience a different culture and went to their historial places that I would never had a chance to experience it in Singapore .
Another difference is the way we are “ green “ . We can see recycling bins in both countries , however are Singapore really a Green City ? No, we are not . Singapore has recycling bins , but is not everywhere . Most of the places are still using normal rubbish bins. Whereas in Korea , we even have to separate the materials that can to recycle into different bins in MacDonald . It is our very first time doing this and truely speaking I am quite ashame of myself as i do not really know how to which item can be recycled . My Korea friend , Kim Hae Sol , even told me that there are different rubbish bin at her home for materials that can be recycled . South Korea are really educated in the ways of saving the Earth and they already doing all the environment friendly actions as part of their lives . However Singapore does not. We are just a Garden City , but definately not a Green City like South Korea.
There are many places that  I really enjoy myself at . These are my top three favourites : Andong Hahoe Folk Village , Daegu Safety Theme Park and POSCO High School.
Andong Hahoe Folk Village truely a place for us to experience the true folk culture of Korea. We get to see different agriculture and their traditional dances that was once used for their celebration havest. The best part is when we get to see a REAL clift . It is really amazing . No words can describe how happy I feel at that moment as the last time I saw a clift was only in my Geography textbook ):
Daegu Safety Theme Park taught us the safety of subway , earthquake and mountain climbing . It is so cool as we get to experience how it will be like if there is a real fire in subway and there is even fake smoke and sudden black out ! In Singapore there is no such theme parks that taught us how to get out of the subway safety when that’s a fire . It is a very educational trip and we really enjoy myself till I do not even feel bored even though we spent almost the whole morning in there !
Last but not least , POSCO High School is definately a place that I will never forget . The school is really huge ! The students there are so well behaved and friendly . I get to interact with my new found friend Hae Sol and we shared a lot about our schools and country . I get to know that the girls in POSCO are not allow to grow long hair and they have to study whole day , from 8.10am to 11.30pm ! They have almost 20subjects to cope with , which include 5/6 Mathematics and 4 Sciences. Why should Singapore students still complain being stress?  I really have a fun time with Hae Sol and we bond really fast . Before I leave she gave a tight hug and even cried ): I really miss her a lot now and I will never forget her.
After these 7 days , I came to realise that I love to procastinate and I SHOULD change it . According to Hae Sol , one day they will need to complete 4different subjects of homeworks it will all needed to be hand in on the next day . I remembered asking her “ Wouldn’t you feel stress ? “ . She just smiled and replied me “ This is life.” I am really impressed by her answered and I begin to ask myself “ Why I could not be like her ? Get things done as soon as possible no matter when is the deadline! “  . I also learn that being punctual is very important . That is once my friends and I were all late for breakfast as a result we have no time eating any breakfast but just a piece of bread. This is really a lesson learn for me , showing how someone actions can lead to serious consequences . Our teachers are very disappointed at us as we are supposedly the better students . Being punctual will definately give a good impression and we should not neglected its important . Last but not least , I learnt to put others before self , focusing on the “ you” and not “ I “ . This is a cultural practice in Korea and we should learn it . That explain why the Koran are all so selfless . (:
I will like to specially thanks Mr Leong and my parents for giving a chance to go for thsi Experiential Learning Trip to South Korea . I really enjoy myself very much. I will also like to thanks all the teachers and friends that had taken of me during these 7days . Without you all , this trip would be a complete trip :D I love you Mr Edwin Wong , Ms Joani Lim , Mrs Wendy Lee , Ms Goh Lee Choo and Mdm Enuice Koh plus my GREAT FRIENDS :DD
SOPHIE ^^ 3E1

No comments:

Post a Comment