Friday, November 5, 2010

From the last few days in Korea, I have found out that Korean could not only speak their mother tongue language well, they could also speak English and Chinese well.  Pocheol high School is an example. When I went to this school for an exchange program, I realize that there were many students who could speak English well. They even had an English teacher who educates them.  My partner, Ian Ryu, told me that they had English lesson twice a week to improve their knowledge so that they would be able to communicate in other country. This is essential as English is a global language. I was impressed in how well my partner was able to speak English. Initially, I was afraid that I would speak too fast and but he managed to understand me. Another example would be an English village at Pagu. This was a place which welcomes the public. It offers unique in-country opportunities to interact with native speakers and engage in multicultural and hands-on activities that mimic real life foreign experiences geared to improving English fluency, as well as promoting cultural and global awareness for Koreans. Gyeonggi English Village’s mission is to improve the English fluency and global awareness of Koreans of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds. It ensures that Korean knows English well. When I visited that place, I saw many young children who were able to communicate with their friends in English. I was astonished too. What was more astonished was when an adult spoke to me in Chinese. He was a Korean and yet he was able to speak Chinese All this proved me wrong because I always thought that Korean were only able to speak Korea language.

Two similarities between South Korea and Singapore are managing their education system and cleanliness. Both of them are very particular on their educational system and cleanliness. They put a lot of pressure on the youth so as to ensure that they do well in their education. In South Korea, students had 11 subjects on more to study. They even had to attend CCAs on weekends. Although Singapore has lesser subjects, there is quite a lot too. When I visit South Korea, I saw many schools visiting the different areas in Korea. They had many different learning trips. For cleanliness, both countries emphasise a lot on it. They have recycling bin and trees almost everywhere.  Singapore also implements policies and measures to keep the country clean.
However the difference between Korea and Singapore on how they respect others. In Korea, we are not allowed to lift up our bowls to eat and are not allowed to use both hands to hold our fork and spoon. We were also not allowed to blow out nose in public. It is considered rude. However, it is otherwise in Singapore. Another difference would be that Singapore is a multi ethic society while Korea only has one race. It would be hard for other country to accept this fact.

One of the most memorable trip I experienced the visit to POCHEOL HIGH SCHOOL. During this visit, I met a friend called Ian Ryu. I was impressed with his fluent English. We talked about the difference in weather and he was rather astonished of how warm Singapore was. We also shared with each other our school. He told me in high school, they had little chance to go out as they had a tight schedule to follow. Furthermore, they even had to attend school for CCAs during weekends! After hearing upon this, I really appreciate what I have in Singapore. I was really proud to share with him more about Singapore. However there was limited time. In a mere thirty minutes, we had to go elsewhere.  I was glad to be able to exchange emails with him and would love to keep in contact with him.
Another wonderful experience would be Daegu safety theme park.  I was astonished by their fabulous service and equipments that would give the elderly a better life. They even had a service to let us experience the pains and suffering of elderly. This had taught me to understand the elderly more and offer help whenever I can. I think we should have such a place in Singapore as Singapore is now suffering from aging population. There would be a lot of elderly in need of these services.
Yet another memorable trip would be the time where we visited the demilitarised Zone in Seoul. They shared with us their history and we had a view of North Korea.  I always only had the chance to see this view in the internet. Now I managed to see it real life. It was really an eye opener.

I am really lucky as a student to have the chance to explore other country with my friends and teachers. It was an amazing experience, I realise that I lied to explore a lot and love to see new things. Overall, I loved this trip.


toothpick made from starch!
Korea airport!


Korea recycling bin~!

Joey Yee(3e2)

No comments:

Post a Comment